Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Interview with Journalist Bill Bowman

Bill Bowman was born in a military hospital in New Jersey and grew up in an "army brat" but the most exotic place he lived was Long Branch, New Jersey. When he was about 12 he moved all the way to its Northern neighbor, Oceanport. It was then that we met and became friends. He attended Christian Brothers Academy and we lost touch for many years. He had gone on to Livingston College and a career in journalism, which ultimately lead to a job reporting for the Asbury Park Press, one of the major newspapers in the area. After his tenure with the Press he went on to found his own subscription-based on-line news outlet called The Franklin Reporter & Advocate. He is married to a successful jazz singer, PJ, and together they are quite active in animal rescue causes. When Bill is not working, he can be found cycling – whether for exercise or to raise money for charity – or sitting in the audience listening to PJ sing.

Bill has also written two (2) non-fictions books - Savage Lies, The Half-Truths, Distortions and Outright Lies of a Right-Wing Blowhard and Murderer of the Year. Savage Lies gets behind the comments of right-wing radio host Michael Savage (nee Weiner) and exposes the lies he uses to support his positions. Murderer of the Year brings you behind the scenes of an investigation and trial that rocked the small, upscale borough of Metuchen, New Jersey.

Personal Questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

My favorite childhood memory would have to be when the physics finally kicked in, and I could ride my bike without training wheels. We were living on Fort Monmouth at the time, so I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, and I can distinctly remember my Dad holding the back of my seat and steadying me as I pedaled. Then, suddenly, his hand was gone! I wobbled for a few seconds or maybe a minute, but whatever mystical forces come into play when your body finds its balance did, and I remember looking back over my shoulder and seeing him with this huge smile on his face.

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

1) Spaghetti
2) Meatballs
3) Hot Dogs
4) Delicious Orchards’ apple cider doughnuts
5) Pizza
God, I’m healthy. Lol.

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

Various people over the years: You can only do the best you can do.
(Joe: great advice)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't working?

Listening to music, preferably jazz and blues, but I also like classical, R&B and good old-fashioned rock ‘n roll. And sleep. Sleeping is always good.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

I would love to spend an hour with Barack Obama, and pick his brain about what he’s endured the past eight years.
(Joe: that would be interesting, he seems like a genuinely nice guy to sit and have a beer with.)

Professional Questions

Why journalism?

Because I suck at math. I’ve always been a nosey person. When I was little, living in Long Branch, my friends and I used to count the blasts from the fire house horn to see where a fire was located, and then we’d shoot over on or bikes to see what was going on. I dabbled in it a little in high school – one of my English teachers was a reporter for the Asbury Park Press – but didn’t really get the bug until college. I enjoy bringing things to light and being able to help people, in the limited capacity that I have to do so.

Can you explain your style in 10 words or less?

Laid-back.

What is your greatest journalistic achievement?

In 1997, I wrote a series of articles that led to the establishment of an $8 million program in the state to provide every fire department and fire academy in New Jersey with a thermal imaging camera. Not many had them at the time because they cost about $25,000, but they are life-saving tools. The legislation – the first of its kind in the country – was created with the help of then-Assemblymen Christopher “Kip” Bateman and the late Peter Biondi, and signed by Gov. Christine Whitman. I remember how proud I felt at the ceremony where the first batch of cameras were presented to fire companies at the Middlesex County Fire Academy. A similar bill was introduced in the US Congress, but never went anywhere.
(Joe: that is certainly something to be proud of)

If you could work for any newspaper, past or present, which would it be?

I think it would have been cool to work for one of the New York City newspapers during the 30s and 40s, when newspapers were king and the competition was intense.

Where do you draw inspiration from when you write and what’s your favorite part about the process?

My inspiration comes from knowing people depend on me to tell them what’s going on. My favorite part about the process is when it’s over. Lol.

Bonus question:

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

1. “Dreams Are Meant For Two” by PJ Parker
2. “The Rising” by Bruce Springsteen
3. “The Seeger Sessions” by Springsteen
4. “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse
5. Cast album of Les Miserables.

To learn more about Bill and his books, please check out the links below.
The Franklin Reporter & Advocate - http://franklinreporter.com/
Bill Bowman - http://bbowman.net/
Savage Lies, The Half-Truths, Distortions and Outright Lies of a Right-Wing Blowhard - http://bbowman.net/?page_id=90
Murderer of the Year - http://bbowman.net/?page_id=95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...