Thursday, April 20, 2017

An Open Letter to Mel Brooks

Dear Mr. Brooks:

I have so many things I want to say to you and questions to ask but I will try to keep this somewhat brief.

The first thing I would ask you if we ever met would be "How the hell did you get to be so funny?!?!" I mean, you have written some of the funniest television shows, movies and plays ever! It's not even just your writing - you are a funny guy. Period! I would bet that you could re-create the radio broadcast of the Hindenburg disaster and have everyone rolling in the aisles. I could listen to The 2,000 Year Old Man a million times and still cry. It helps to have a straight-man like Carl Reiner; actually, when the "straight-man" in a bit is Carl Reiner that says a lot!

I have been asked to name a favorite Mel Brooks movie and I just look at the crazy person in front of me. Picking a favorite Mel Brooks movie is like picking a favorite Beatles song; name one and you immediately think of another that you like more! I would say that - if pressed - I rank The Producers as one of the funniest movies ever made. The casting was incredible, the premise a genius and the performances flawless. I watch it every chance I get. Who wouldn't love Franz Liebkind - "Baby! Baby!... Why does he say this 'baby'? The Führer has never said "baby". I did not write, 'baby'. What is it with this, 'baby'?" or Leo Bloom going into a frenzy and cuddling his blue blanket? I am so glad you cast Zero Mostel as Max Bialystock, I don't think Topal would have been able to pull it off....

I have lost count of the number of times I have said "I got it! I got it! I got it! I ain't got it." That is one of my favorite lines from High Anxiety and I love it when someone recognizes it. I recently read an interview you gave in which you discuss High Anxiety and the reaction you got from Alfred Hitchcock. What a great story!

I have been asked "If you could spend an hour talking to anyone - past or present - who would you pick?" I have had different answers but the name Mel Brooks was never mentioned. How could I possible spend just an hour?? It might take 20 minutes just to get over the fact that I am sitting with you and be able to speak. I'm sure the next 40 minutes I would be crying hysterically and trying not to have "an accident."

On a more serious note, I would ask "Do you think you could get away with Blazing Saddles today?" It seems we are so hyper-sensitive as a society that some might think the humor to be too toxic. It seems that in order to poke fun of a particular segment of the population you have to be a member of that segment. Do you agree?

Well, I said I was going to try to be brief and neither of us is getting any younger so I am going to end with this final thought - the word "genius" gets thrown around easily these days but you are a true comedic genius. Thank you for all the laughs you have provided over the years, I am truly grateful. Who knew a Jew could be funny?

Regards,
Joe Valencia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...