Sunday, April 16, 2017

Hiking Through History: Monmouth Battlefield - Part II; George Washington

This is the second installment of Hiking Through History and I am still at Monmouth Battlefield. The first post was about the Visitor Center and Combs Hill, today I will take you to the battlefield and the .86 mile Washington Trail. The following trail description is taken from the park brochure:
"Washington Trail: This trail leads to the main Continental Army position. Back-and-forth along this hill, Washington rode, encouraging his men and organizing a counter-attack as the British began withdrawing."

Now, I think it is important to say that I am not a history buff and that history was always one of my worst subjects when I was in school. That is what makes this hike even more special than just some time in the great outdoors. As I was walking along the trail taking in the beauty of the autumn day I couldn’t help but think back to June 1778 and imagine what was happening in the exact place where I was walking. The wooden fence shown here couldn’t possibly be a relic from the battle but I could almost see men kneeling behind it and taking aim. I often found myself stopping and looking towards the east trying to envision the British soldiers in the field and what it must have felt like to be there during the battle. I stood in the very spot that Molly Hays, aka Molly Pitcher, stood and fired upon the British when one of the soldiers fell – watch for a post about that trail coming soon.

The black & white image above was taken while kneeling behind the battlefield fence, looking towards the Sutfin House. This is a view that the soldiers would have had during the battle. The house is very interesting in on it's own and I will write about it at a later date.

It took longer than usual for me to hike this trail because I stopped at each of the information stations along the way and took pictures from that perspective. I have been to a number of places that claim “George Washington Slept Here” but I was on the ground where he commanded troops and that was somehow magical. If you stand still and are real quiet you can almost hear the roar of the cannons; or maybe it is the roar of the cars speeding by, I can’t be too sure.

When I was approaching the end of the trail I looked ahead and saw a couple of people walking dogs. I looked to my left to take a photo and when I turned back they were gone. The trail had a slight curve to it between where I was and where I had seen them and the grass was high so I thought I would meet up with them as I walked. I didn’t! I got to where the trail turned to go back to the parking lot (this is the spot that I saw the other walkers) and they were nowhere to be seen. The first thought I had was that they were soldiers who never left the battlefield and I was a little spooked. I then noticed that there was a trail to my right (this is the Lafayette Trail, watch for an upcoming post) and they were about 40 yards up that trail. They saw me and we exchanged waves. I actually stopped about 20 feet away and turned, just to make sure they were still there. I felt a bit foolish when I got back to the parking lot; their new, full-size pickup truck was parked next to my car….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...