Thursday, April 13, 2017

Dave Evans: Songwriter, Performer and Friend

I met Dave at a job interview; he was looking to hire a programmer and I was looking to be hired. I had been on many interviews in my life but this one was different. We had just met but I was very comfortable and it seemed like we had known each other for a long time. I ultimately got the job and we quickly became good friends. We found that we had a common bond with music; we both play guitar and are more than casual fans of The Beatles. He is also a songwriter and a very good one at that. That was just over 10 years ago and I have had the privilege of watching his songwriting, performing and recording mature in leaps and bounds.

I mentioned earlier that we both play guitar but that is a little misleading. I played a long time ago - classical guitar mostly - and just fool around every once in a while. There have been a few times when I have gone to Dave's and we play some of his songs together but my playing isn't quite up to snuff. His playing gets better all the time. We have a long-distance writer-collaborator relationship that has been a lot of fun and rather productive. Dave will write a song - sometimes he just get a melody or chord progression he likes, sometimes just lyrics - and send a rough recording to me. I listen to it a number of times - usually 2 or 3 in a row and then come back to it a little later for a few more listens - and give him my thoughts. I almost never have a comment about the lyric but will offer some feedback about the accompaniment. He is the artist and, ultimately, it is his voice that comes through.

Dave's biggest influence is The Beatles and, in particular, John Lennon. You can feel this in his lyrics - he often writes of love or the social ills of this world. It is my opinion that his songs of love are his best work and I know they are his most personal. There is a geniuneness to his music that I feel sets him apart from a lot of other singer/songwriters out there today. He considers his style to be "classic rock" but he throws in a little bit of jazz, blues and country from time-to-time. Like most singer-songwriters the guitar is center stage for most songs but don't be surprised to hear piano, strings and horns show up from time-to-time.

Dave is currently putting the finishing touches on a few of his songs and looking forward to putting out his third album. You're going to hear a lot about Dave in the coming months - I plan on writing more about his music and specific songs. I also suspect you will be hearing about him from others, too. He is too talented not to be "out there" and it won't be long before he is. The video of "Mary's Song" is one that was done a few years ago and it has changed a little in the intervening time but it is my favorite song and I want to share it with you.

Mary's Song on YouTube

I recently interviewed Dave for this blog - you can read that interview here, Interview with Songwriter Dave Evans.

Dave has an Artist page on BandCamp where you can listen to more of his music, as well as purchase songs. His page is https://daveevanssolo.bandcamp.com and I encourage you to check it out as soon as you finish reading this post. If you are interested in publishing or recording some of his songs - his contact information is on his BandCamp page.

I would love to hear what you think of his music - check out his page, listen to some songs and come back to leave a comment below. I'm sure you will become a fan, just like me! Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...