Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Interview with Food Blogger Carol Taylor

Carol Taylor, aka Caz, is a retired Civil Servant from England who is now living among the rubber trees in Thailand. She now spends her time pursuing her passions – cooking and writing, sometimes even writing about cooking! She is working on a novel and is getting ready to publish a second collection of short stories with some of her writing friends. In her circle of writing friends, Lola, Sophia and Ethel, she is the whimsical one they call Roxy (don’t ask, she would tell me.) Carol had told her daughter, a cancer survivor, that she would run a marathon and she did; she has the medal to prove it but don’t expect to see her line up again anytime soon.

I have enjoyed reading Carol’s posts but it can be difficult to do on an empty stomach because everything looks so good. As I write this I am looking at her Apple Pie and thinking about her Alcoholic Hot Chocolate. She also has written about the differences in what foods and ingredients are called – You Call It What! and What do you call it???? are terrific reads. Look below for a link to her Niume profile and other writings.

Now, it is my pleasure to give unto you – Carol Taylor in her own words!

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Red Shoes and what girl doesn't at some point want a pair of red shoes. I was quite young 11 ish and was out with my mum for sturdy school shoes...I wanted these red ones so every pair she made me try on..hurt me too big , too small anything. She got fed and marched me home. Telling my dad could take me to get school shoes. My dad was the authoritarian and stood no nonsense from us girls. He took me , asked me what pair I wanted...Me..little madam pointed to the RED ones. So we tried them on...a perfect fit and he bought them. My first pair of Red shoes. Looking back I am sure he got an ear bashing...lol
(Joe: great story. Reminds me of when I was 13 or 14 - I wanted red Puma Clyde suede sneakers. They cost $25 and my parents refused to buy them. I cut grass all summer and used some of the money to buy the sneakers before school started.)

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

Chillies, of couse..lol. Thai basil, Rice, Indian curry and coconut juice.

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

My best friend Jilly who sadly is no longer here. Once told me never to forget that I was ME before I was a mum. I love my kids and would do anything for them but I also leave time for me..to cook, to write and not so long ago my big son told me I had always been his inspiration and that's why he had got to where he was and he flies high and is also a great dad. Now I am blubbing..your fault...lol
(Joe: that is great advice. Once we become parents it seems we tend to lose "us" and we shouldn't.)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't cooking?

Writing...My passion and I always say my fingers are an extension of my mouth...I just write and walking i love...when was younger I used to run to free my mind but not now....

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

Steven Hawking...what wonderful mind that man has..I would have so many questions about the universe..

Professional questions

Why cooking?

Why not??? I love to cook...I also like to know what is in my food so I think that ultimately drives me. I buy no processed food I make practically everything but without being obsessed because sometimes you just can't make it ..so then if I really want it's moderation.

Can you explain your style in 10 words or less?

I just cook from the heart.

What is the best thing you ever cooked?

I think you best ask them that eat my food that question..lol.. I can tell you the worst...Many of those...like the time I first used garlic and when it said clove I used the bulb...but I learnt.
(Joe: that's funny.... with that much garlic you don't have to worry about vampires for a long, long time!)

What is one thing, culinarily, that you wish you could do better, and why?

Beautiful presentation...When I see some of the dishes and how beautifully they are presented...My food..I get lots compliments on taste but would love to serve a dish where as it approached the table everyone went WOW...just by looking...You did ask..lol

Where do you draw inspiration from when you cook and what’s your favorite part about the process?

I used to be recipe driven and living here has taught me to be ingredient driven...so most times I look at what I have and cook..I substitute if Ihaven't got an ingredient and I taste and I can now taste a dish and tell you all that is it or most.....So I am inspired by Taste I suppose.

Bonus question:

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

Oh..That's a big ask so many wonderful albums and my taste is diverse but here goes.
  • Paolo Nuttini...These Streets.
  • Rod Stewart...Still the same... A great rocker
  • The Rat Pack...Sammy Davis J, Frank Sinatra and James Dean.
  • Handels Water music...I have old single and it was the only music my daughter would go to sleep for and she drove her brother mad when she able to put it on for herself..lol
  • Lastly ohhhh a Bit of Buddy and Elvis

I hope you enjoyed getting to know Carol better. As promised you will find links to more of Carol's posts and writings below.
All photos are the property of Carol Taylor and may not be used without written permission.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyable read Joe and Carol. I learned about many new foods reading Carol's posts.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...