Saturday, April 11, 2020

What Are Your Comfort Foods? Guilty Pleasures?

Comfort Food

I just read some posts on LinkedIn about the resurgence of foods that many consider comfort foods. One such post talked about how the recent trends were toward fresh, healthy foods but since the pandemic that is being seen as a luxury. People are turning towards more shelf-stable foods - he mentioned that Campbell’s soup has reported better than a 50% increase in sales and Pepperidge Farm Goldfish crackers are becoming a hot commodity.

That got me to thinking, which can be a rather dangerous thing but in this case I think everyone is safe.

What is it that you have in your pantry for "just in case?" What are some of your comfort foods? Do you have a guilty pleasure food? We always have some stove-top macaroni and cheese in the pantry. This was something the kids loved when they were growing up and it was an easy weekend lunch. Of course the pantry is also stocked with a variety of pastas and flours. There are also cans of soup, tomatoes and other staples. I could go on but this isn't about "What is in your pantry?" it is "What are your comfort foods?"

Comfort food is food that provides a nostalgic or sentimental value to someone, and may be characterized by its high caloric nature, high carbohydrate level, or simple preparation. The nostalgia may be specific to an individual, or it may apply to a specific culture. - excerpt from Comfort Food on Wikipedia

My Comfort Foods

I would say that my two (2) main comfort foods would be ice cream and popcorn. They are such a big part of my life growing up and some of my fondest memories involve them. I have written about both, Ice Cream, Oh How I Love You! and Popcorn and Sleeping at Grandma's house; if you read them you will come to learn why they are so important to me.

I would round out my list with burgers, fries, pizza, and macaroni and cheese. I would have to say that my favorite meal would be a big bacon cheeseburger on a real hard roll with a heaping serving from french fries. If we add a good-sized ice cream sundae for dessert, I cannot think of a better "comfort" meal.

My Guilty Pleasures

It wouldn't be fair for me to ask about your guilty pleasures with out letting you in on one or two of mine. I absolutely love salty snacks - mixed nuts, pistachios, potato chips, pretzels, etc... but I don't think of them as guilty pleasures. I mean, nuts are good for you and everyone eats potato chips and pretzels. Right?

When I talk about "guilty pleasure" I am thinking more like something you eat when nobody is looking. You know, like Junk Food Junkie, you go into a closet and eat your Hostess Twinkies®. Speaking of Twinkies.... You may not know this but in the early 80's I took drove a blue 1972 Ford Pinto hatchback and took classes at Brookdale Community College. Brookdale held a Twinkie Festival and I was able to score a coveted bright yellow "Twinkie Power" bumper sticker. To say I liked Twinkies would be an understatement. I still like Twinkies but I don't have them very often. I also love Hostess Orange CupCakes®. The chocolate are okay but orange is far superior. You do know the best way to eat Hostess CupCakes is. Right? You pinch off the bottom half, eat it and then turn the icing top upside down and eat that. If you aren't eating them that way you don't know what you are missing.

I could probably go on for quite some time in the Guilty Pleasure category but some things are best kept to ones self.

How About You?

Okay, it's your turn now. What are some of your comfort foods and guilty pleasures? What do you keep in your pantry for "just in case" and what do you miss the most since we've been restricted during the pandemic?

Let me know in the comments below and let me know how you have been keeping your sanity during all of this.

2 comments:

  1. you made me miss Butter Pecan Blondie from Apple Bee's :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had one of those - I will have to check it out next time.

      Delete

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...