Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it

Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it. - J. Petit Senn

What a great quote! It is simple, to the point and incredibly true. Everyone wants to be happy and we all seek it. Thomas Jefferson spoke of it more than 200 years ago and it still holds true today - "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

The problem is that happiness can prove to be quite elusive and sometimes it seems the more we go out looking for it, the harder it is to find. I have found, and lost, happiness more than a few times in my life but rarely when or where I was looking. I had people telling me where to look (supermarket), when to look (Thursday night) and what time to look (after work and before dinner) but for the most part it proved elusive.

I had all but abandoned the search when I found it standing on a street corner waiting for a bus. No, it wasn't raining and there were no umbrellas (The Hollies - Bus Stop) but there it was. That was nearly 30 years ago and I will leave the story for another time. Suffice it to say that I found happiness that day and I wasn't even looking for it. It hasn't always been rainbows and puppy dog tails but nothing worthwhile ever really is. Right?

Happiness doesn't always mean human companionship, either. There are many who are happy living a solitary life and the freedom it affords. They have other endeavors that fill their needs and make them happy. There is nothing wrong with that! You may find your happiness in a rewarding career or hobby. If it makes you happy and you feel your life is complete never let anyone tell you otherwise. The moral of the story is that no matter who you are there is someone or something out there ready to make you happy. Don't ever stop looking but don't let the search take on a life of its own. Don't get discouraged if happiness eludes you for a while, it is there. I promise!

Image is courtesy of Pixabay and is used under Creative Commons License.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. One can be happy by themselves or among people. I can do either. I have a sister who has to have peoplearound her at all times. She has seven kids and has taken in four roommates. Not my kind of place to visit. To much drama for me. yet it makes her happy. I say to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - I don't think I would visit your sister much, either. That is far too many people for my comfort....

      Delete
  2. Well written Joe. I find happiness in little things these days. Waking up to see another sunrise and sunset (or even a rainy day). I believe some people look for that one perfect person, object or event to define THEIR happiness. Sadly I don't believe those people will find happiness the way they think of it. Age and time have a way of allowing one to view happiness differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia! Yes, I agree that it is the little things that bring the most joy now. I remember when the kids were babies the greatest joy in the world was when they fell asleep on my chest - I would lie there forever not wanting the moment to end.

      Delete

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...