Tuesday, December 15, 2020

December 1980

I was going to start off saying that anyone of "a certain age" will know what this post is about just by the title. As I thought about it, I couldn't quite put my finger on what that age would be - deciding, finally, that just about anyone who is going to read this will know; no matter the age.

Introduction

As I sit to write this it is just past midnight on 15 December - yesterday marked 40 years since the vigil held outside the Dakota on 14 December 1980, just six (6) days after John Lennon was assassinated as he returned home from the recording studio. I was there that cold December day, standing on the corner of 72nd Street & Central Park West staring at the entryway to the courtyard where he was gunned down. I have seen estimates from between 150,000 and 500,000 people were there - between the Dakota, Strawberry Fields across the street and Central Park.

December 8

That Monday was just like any other day in 1980 - I went to work, went home, ate dinner and, watched some television before going to bed. It was some time around midnight that my father woke me up, telling me that my girlfriend was on the phone. I couldn't imagine what she was calling about so late. She told me that John Lennon had been murdered earlier that evening. It was like I was gut punched; I was at a loss of words but I think I managed to say something like, "What a bummer." I then said I had to get some sleep because I had to work in the morning. John had been shot at 10:50 PM and pronounced dead at 11:15 PM. Howard Cosell interrupted the Monday Night Football broadcast to announce his death. In 1974, John had visited the Monday Night Football broadcast booth, chatting with Cosell.

When I got up on the morning of 9 December the events of the night before hit me like a ton of bricks. It just didn't seem real - on my way to work I bought every newspaper I could get my hands on. I read articles in every one of them, hoping to read that it was some elaborate hoax. He had just released Double Fantasy, his first album in five (5) years and was talking about touring. I couldn't wait to see him perform! Every damned newspaper confirmed what I already knew - John Lennon was dead at age 40....

I felt the need to be with others who were having the same feelings I was; I wanted to be at the Dakota but I had just started my job in February and couldn't take time off. When it was announced there would be a vigil on 14 December there was no question about whether or not I would be there.

December 14 - The Vigil

The details of the day elude me but the feeling will never go away - 40 years later they are as fresh as ever. My girlfriend and I got there early - taking the train to Penn Station and then subway to 72nd Street. If I remember correctly, the subway station is right under the Dakota. There was a small crowd so we were able to work our way to the corner of the building and stand right up against the barriers at the end of the street. Every radio station was playing John Lennon or The Beatles and telling stories. I knew I was right where I had to be.

It didn't take long before the entire area was filled with people - some holding signs, some with radios and everyone coexisting peacefully despite being pressed together like sardines. It was very cold but, honestly, I didn't feel it at all.

Yoko had asked that, at 2:00 PM, everyone participate in a 10 minute silent vigil to remember John. Right on cue, at 2:00 PM all of the radios fell dead silent and not a single person said a word. The only sounds were distant rumbling of traffic and three or four of NYPD uniform officers laughing as they stood guard at the entry way to the building. It was during that 10 minutes of silence that it began to snow. It was almost as though someone flipped a switch and when the 10 minutes were over, so was the snow. It was eerie and I still get chills thinking about it.

We hung around for a while after the vigil was over and then headed back to the subway, emotionally drained but surprisingly at peace. I think being with so many others was very therapeutic. It is a memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life, and yet, I sure as hell wish it never had to have been held at all.

The Years Since

I have been back to the Dakota a few times in the years since - mainly on my way to visit Strawberry Fields in Central Park. I have some photos that I took during one of the trips but they have been packed away - some day I will get them out and scan them for another post. Every year I say that I am going to visit again but just never have.

This past October John would have turned 80 years old and there were quite a few specials on television and radio. Paul McCartney did a few special shows with Alec Baldwin and another with Sean Lennon. Tributes came from every corner of the music industry. His music is just as important now as it was when he was making it.

When I sat down to write this I opened YouTube and found the album, Imagine. The title track is my favorite song - bar none. It is such a simple, yet powerful song. The song was released 49 years ago and we still haven't gotten the message. It is now almost 1:30 AM and I have switched to Mind Games - Bring On The Lucie (Freda Peeple) is playing. If I had to pick favorite solo albums, it might just be Imagine and Mind Games with Double Fantasy close behind. It's tough though - Double Fantasy has some terrific tracks (well, John's tracks anyway) and you can tell he is happy. I think that is what makes his death that much more difficult; he was always fighting some inner demons but he finally seemed to work things out and start loving life.

Where were you when you heard of John's murder? Did you go to the Dakota? Strawberry Fields? The Vigil? I would love to hear your stories - leave them in the comments below.

I think this is a good time to wrap things up and go to bed - I have to work in the morning.

Please do me a small favor and share this post with others, for there’s a good chance that others might enjoy it, too! You will find "Shar" link at the bottom of this post. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't remember that I broke the news to Joe. I was a freshman at Rutgers. He came up on the weekend and we caught the train in to the city.
    What I remember is stepping out at Penn Station and every person was crying, including the clearly homeless, black guy, sitting on the icy floor, back slumped to the wall, tears welling in his eyes.
    The subway ride was the same, quiet but for the weeping, cold.
    As people continued to pack around us, thousands upon thousands joined in the solidarity of our grief and loss, some with signs, some with music, people hanging from monuments, light poles, mailboxes, we stood, we wept. The warmth of love fought the icy air, the bone-chilling pavement.
    It's Tuesday the 15th, and 'Happy Christmas, War Is Over' is playing on the radio in my doctor's office. To echo Joe, 40 years later, John reaches out, and still so few hear his message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing.... I don't remember the homeless guy.

      Delete

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...