Thursday, June 8, 2017

I Want It - a Dave Evans original song

War and hate have been around since the dawn of mankind, that I am sure of. I am equally sure that the birth of the "protest" song came along very early in the evolution of music. I don't know when the first protest song was written or what it was about but it has it's place in popular culture, no matter where you are in the world. When I think of the protest song my first thought goes to folk music and people like Woody Guthrie (Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)) and Pete Seeger (We Shall Overcome); I think most people would do the same. I also think of rock and roll and artists like Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (Ohio), Creedence Clearwater Revival (Fortunate Son), and my favorite, John Lennon (Imagine). I would add Harry Chapin (What Made America Famous) to the list somewhere between folk and rock. I am adding another name to the list - Dave Evans - and the song, I Want It. I have written about Dave, his music and even how his music has influenced my photography and writing; now I am introducing you to his "protest" song. I'm sure that if you were to ask him, he wouldn't necessarily think of himself as a singer of protest songs and he would be correct. He may not even consider I Want It to be in that category but I think it is and, since I am writing this, it is....

The following is what Dave told me about the song when he first wrote it:

"One day I was sitting in my chair thinking about all the things I wanted out of life... The more I thought about it the more I realized I really only wanted LOVE. For some reason I picked up one of my guitars and started playing a chord progression I had never played before and the song was born."
>
I want the world to survive.
I want the lovers in my life still alive
I want the world to be the place I know that it can be.
I want the wars to conclude.
We'll grant the parents of the world solitude.
We'll make the world a place of love and peace and harmony
Then you'll see
So, the only thing you have left is to listen to I Want It on BandCamp and then come back here to let me know what you think in the comments below.

For more information about Dave and his music you can read my blog post - Dave Evans: Songwriter, Performer and Friend
Check out his Facebook page - Dave Evans Solo
Follow him on Twitter - @Dave2ta
You can email him at DaveEvansSolo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...