Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Remember When the Music

I have seen many live performances over the years in many different venues - from small halls like The Bottom Line to outdoors in Giants Stadium. I've seen upcoming, unknown bands as opening acts. I've seen superstars like Ringo Starr, The Eagles, Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen and The Who. I've enjoyed them all but aside from Ringo, it was Harry Chapin that I most enjoyed seeing. I saw him five (5) times - the last was in late 1980 at the State Theatre in New Brunswick and John Lennon was still alive. I had seen him earlier in the year at the Garden State Arts Center (now PNC Art Center) and was looking forward to a rare twice-in-a-year treat. I had a seat near the aisle, we got there early and hung out waiting for the show to begin. The time came for the show to begin but the stage was dark. It remained dark for quite some time - what was going on? It wasn't like Harry to start late. Suddenly I see someone run past me - just a blur - and jump up on the stage. Harry has arrived at last! He explained that his van broke down on Rt 18 just after he left the New Jersey Turnpike and he actually got a ride from an elderly couple who had stopped to see if he was okay. They offered to drive him to the show; in return he offered them tickets to the show. They looked at him and asked if he played "rock and roll". He smiled when he told us he wished he could have said "Yeah, I'm Bruce Springsteen." I was glad he got to the theater but really disappointed when I learned how. You see, about an hour or so earlier I drove right past where he broke down! If the timing had been better it may have been ME who drove him to the show.... It was, of course, another great Chapin show but sadly, it was the last time I saw him perform. I had tickets to see him perform at the Garden State Arts Center in July 1981 but he died on July 7th in an accident on the Long Island Expressway. I still have the ticket....

Remember When the Music - Live at The Bottom Line

You may have wondered why I mentioned earlier that John Lennon was still alive when I saw Harry last. If you listen to the recording at the top of this post it will explain everything. I, like millions of others, was crushed when I heard of John's murder and I remember playing this song, thinking about John. The song helped me. Then Harry was killed seven months later. The song brought with it a whole new meaning, as did some of his other songs. It was years before I heard this version recorded at the Bottom Line in New York City. It is difficult to listen to the introduction knowing what was to happen only months later.

I miss Harry and his shows. The banter between him and the band - especially Big John - was priceless. I'm glad for the live albums because they do a good job of conveying the experience and YouTube has been great because I can find recordings that weren't released on disk. There is a full concert video of the benefit that Harry did in October 1978 for the Bill Bradley campaign. It was only Harry - no band - but he did sing a duet with Chevy Chase! The show is priceless and I was there! Here is a link - Harry at Capitol Theatre. If you aren't familiar with Harry's music I encourage you to check it out. I'm sure you know Cat's In The Cradle and Taxi but there are so many others. Corey's Coming has got to be one of my all-time favorites, especially the live version on Legends of the Lost and Found.

I hope you Chapin fans out there enjoyed this little homage to Harry. If you have any memories to share, please do so in the comments below. If there is one thing that I learned from Harry is that no matter how bad things may be or how bad you may feel "you can ALWAYS count on the cheap seats!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...