Saturday, March 25, 2017

Stop and Listen to the Birds Sing

I try to get out to one of the local parks during my lunch hour to take a hike and take pictures. My goal is to cover at least one (1) mile and often exceed that. I also like to go after work and like to walk for two (2) miles or more. I do this for a number of reasons, not the least of which is for my physical well-being. The other reasons have to do with photography, my photography blog and my mental well-being. I don't know if I use my hikes as an excuse to shoot or my shooting as an excuse to get out and hike but I also don't care. To me there is something special about being in a park or walking along a wooded trail, alone with my thoughts.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I try to walk at least a mile during lunch but there are times when things don't quite work out as planned. This post is about one such afternoon. I had planned to go to a nearby lake where I can usually get in about 1.5 miles before having to head back but once I started walking I changed my mind. The previous day I visited Monmouth Battlefield State Park for my lunchtime hike and about a half-mile from my car I twisted my knee a bit. It isn't the first time something like that has happened and this time it wasn't bad but I was uncomfortable. Well, I hadn't gone more than about 20 yards this afternoon when the knee started bothering me again - I almost went back to the car but it was too nice out and so I decided to walk a bit and then sit on a bench. I walked about 10 minutes and found the spot that I was looking for, I was on top of a small rise next to the trail under a group of pine trees.

I had a great view of the lake and also had a good view of three (3) birdhouses that were in nearby trees. There are many birdhouses in the trees throughout Lake Topanemus Park, all painted with various designs. I kept an eye on the birdhouse closest to me and had the camera ready, just in case. I also noticed a nest about 10 feet further up in the same tree that I kept an eye on. I otherwise did nothing and cannot remember the last time doing nothing felt so good! I sat there for about 30 minutes watching birds fly about and listening to them sing. I could hear nothing else. It was during this time that I realized that as difficult as it is living with hearing loss and struggling to follow conversations at times, I am blessed with being able to sit in a park and listen to the birds sing. I know there were cars going by the park, kids playing on the playground, people walking by crunching gravel beneath their feet but I could hear none of that - all I could hear were the birds.

So, that afternoon didn't do much for my physical well-being and I didn't come away with any photos worth keeping but the 30 minutes I spent sitting on that bench did more good than hours with Sidney Freedman ever would. It may be time to re-think my daily routine and consider taking one day a week to find a park bench somewhere and just sit instead of walking. Ringo Starr did a song called "Stop and Take the Time to Smell the Roses" and John Lennon did "Watching the Wheels" - I think it is time to "Stop and Listen to the Birds Sing"....


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...