Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hiking Through History: Fort Hancock, Sandy Hook

I love Gateway National Recreation Area, better known as Sandy Hook, in New Jersey. At the end of The Hook is Fort Hancock and that is the subject of this installment of Hiking Through History. Most of the buildings are long deserted and many areas are closed to the public due to hazardous conditions but there is plenty to see. (Note: The images used to illustrate this post may not necessarily be from the same hike.)

The first image was shot at Horseshoe Cove. This is on the bay side of Sandy Hook and is just before you start to see the sign welcoming you to Fort Hancock and the buildings. This is a popular spot for fisherman and hikers alike. This shot was actually taken on the first day of Spring in 2011. The day before had been absolutely gorgeous but I like to shoot on the first day of each season and had already planned to be at The Hook to shoot spring. I am actually glad for the foggy day, I think it gave the image a mysterious look and it has become one of my favorites.


The Sandy Hook lighthouse is the oldest functional lighthouse in the United States being designed and built in 1764. You can read about the history of the light at the New Jersey Lighthouse Society. I love lighthouses, particularly this one. This was taken from the south side of the lighthouse and I decided to try to do a bit of "playing around" in Photoshop to give it an "old-time" look. If you go during the week you can take a tour of the light but, unfortunately, I have never been there when it was open. If I ever do, I will certainly do a lot of shooting and write about the experience.

If you walk south of the lighthouse you will come to the entrance of Batteries McCook and Reynolds. Built in 1898, Battery Reynolds was an Endicott Period 12 inch coastal mortar battery built constructed of reinforced concrete. I was named after Colonel John F. Reynolds who was killed in 1863 at the Battle of Gettysburg. In 1906, half of the mortar battery was named for U.S. Army Major General Alexander McCook who served during the U.S. Civil War and died in 1903. The battery cost $138,371.50 to build and was deactivated in 1920.

The image shown here is looking into Fort Hancock Battery McCook B Pit Entrance.


I found this little flower growing out of the rock wall that surrounds the Mortar Battery.

Finally, I leave you with a shot of the Visitor Center as taken from the beach. If you will learn anything about me through my images, you will learn that I love clouds in my landscapes; the more dramatic the better.


I had some help in writing this blog post - I would like to thank Andrea Mehlhorn-Marshall and Brian Barker for their assistance. I was having trouble finding information about the batteries and they stepped up and provided information and guidance. Thank you!


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. It looks very beautiful and stark there...some fantastic photo opportunities :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...