Friday, March 27, 2020

Every sunrise hold more promise, and every sunset hold more peace. - Anonymous

Every sunrise hold more promise, and every sunset hold more peace. - Anonymous
I am sitting at my computer this morning - the 15th day of active "social distancing" - trying to decide what to write. The COVID-19 pandemic has changed our lives dramatically, some say it will affect our lives forever in one way or another. I didn't want to write about the pandemic but rather try to write something inspiring if I could. We all need a help to get thru this - some need a little, others need a lot.

I am fortunate to have a job that I can do from home and started doing so two weeks ago. It has been quite an adjustment; though I have worked from home before I have never done so for this long and with a full house. Working from home also means that I no longer commute by car, I simply walk to the computer and start working. That is the downside of telecommuting since I often detour on my way home (or sometimes on my way to the office) and do some shooting.

It seems I have not been too active with this blog lately, that is due, in part, from being very busy at the office and now working from home. You would think that working from home would give me more time to write but I often come up with topics (or write) during my lunch break at the office. When I work from home, I have other things to do. The main reason, though, is because I haven't had much to say. Okay, truthfully, I have had a lot to say but nothing you want to read about. 😉 Then I thought about my sunset photoshoot yesterday and how nice it was to be out of the house. I've had these quotes in my collection for a while so I dug them out to use as inspiration.

Every Sunrise Hold More Promise

I have been asked which I prefer - sunrise or sunset. My answer is usually, "Who cares as long as there is decent cloud cover." That is about as honest an answer as I can give. I love them both equally even if the experience is dramatically different.

I find a lot of truth in this; if you have ever witnessed a sunrise, particularly over the ocean, then I think you will agree. There is something very refreshing about seeing the day come alive and being given a blank page to write in your life's diary. No matter what lies ahead for you it is impossible to witness a sunrise and not feel like things are going to be okay.

The sun rising over the ocean has a particular hold on me - the combination of sitting on the beach, listening to the rhythm of the waves and seeing the sky start to come alive is magical. It is also one of the few times I can be at the beach and be reasonably assured not to encounter a crowd; especially in the colder months.

Every Sunset Hold More Peace

The other end of the spectrum is the sunset. The sunset shown here was shot last night at Maclearie Park in Belmar. It was my first time out in more than two weeks; the trip made for a great diversion to all of the news of the COVID-19 pandemic. When I thought about going out I consulted ClearOutside (a weather app I use) and the forecast wasn't promising but I went anyway. The forecast was somewhat right but I came away with some nice images anyway.

Watching the sun set below the horizon is truly a peaceful experience and the perfect way to end the day. I can only assume that a sunset over the ocean to be as tranquil as a sunrise but I've never witnessed one. I do prefer being somewhere with water - a river (like in this image) or a large lake, especially on a still evening when the sun and clouds reflect off the water. The sunset let's you know that you made it thru another day - you took whatever life threw at you and soldiered thru. It is a time to reflect on the days events and then reach for the "Reset" button.

If you are in a beautiful place where you can enjoy sunrise and sunset, then you are living like a lord. - Nathan Phillips

In Closing

I must be "living like a lord" because I have many beautiful places within a close distance where I can enjoy both sunrises and sunsets. I'm even more fortunate in that I have spent my entire life in such a place. You can read about a few of the places in my Exploring Photography blog and searching for "sunrise" or "sunset." I also have quite a few in my Instagram feed and always adding more - follow me at https://www.instagram.com/valencia32photo/.

I will finish up by hoping everyone is well, practicing "social distancing" and doing their part to help "flatten the curve" of this terrible virus. There is still so much that the doctors and scientists do not know about COVID-19 and there is no way to tell how much longer it will continue to dominate our lives. I do know that if we follow the common sense guidelines put forth by the medical community we can help slow it's progress. This is not a time for selfishness - it is a time for all of us to stand together like we did after September 11, 2001 and as we have in other national crises.

Thanks for stopping by - please be safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...