Friday, October 4, 2019

A Simpler Time

I have a few favorite locations that I go to and each has something different that draws me to them. This image was taken one morning on my way to the office at a small park in Freehold, New Jersey. They pack a lot into this park - there is an arboretum, a wildflower field and this small lake. I am drawn to the lake, as I am to most bodies of water.

I stopped at the park on this day because there was a low fog that I was hoping to capture hanging over the lake. As you can see, it was gone by the time this image was made. I knew there was an image to be had; the light was rather flat but the colors were beautiful and I am a sucker for a good reflection. I had my camera set up and shot composed but was waiting for the sun to peek thru the clouds to light up the trees at the far end of the lake. In the meantime I took this shot with my smartphone to post on social media.

When I looked at the image I decided to "play" with it a bit, opening it in Photoshop Express, muting the color and adding a bit of a vignette. In the end, this is what I decided was "the" image. It reminded me of an old photograph that you come across while looking for something else. A nice little surprise trip down "Memory Lane". Looking at it brings me back to a simpler time in my life and I get a bit nostalgic.

As a photographer, my biggest decision would have been film choice - slides or negatives? In life, the big decision was where to eat and what movie to see on the weekend. Now I am thinking about exposure blending, focus stacking, panorama, editing and color balance - just to name a few. In life there are car and mortgage payments, food, kids, work, etc....

Looking back, I can't imagine why we were all in such a hurry to grow up!

Oh, by the way - this image is the same location with some low hanging fog. It was shot some time prior to the autumn shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...