Thursday, August 8, 2019

You can't always choose the path that you walk in life....

You can't always choose the path that you walk in life, but you can always choose the manner in which you walk it. - John O'Leary
I forget where I saw this quote but I grabbed it as soon as I did. It is seldom I come across something that rings as true as this. Other, similar, sayings come to mind like "play the hand that is dealt you" and "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade." They are not exactly the same but the sentiment is close. There are those who get the world handed to them and those who have to fight for everything they have. We have very little control over much of what goes on in our lives but there is one thing that we have total control over - how we behave and how we react to events in our lives, the good and the bad.

When your feeling down, it is easy to think that life dealt you a lousy hand. You feel that no matter what you try to do, you can't seem to get ahead so - why bother? You think, "I'm not giving up, I'm facing reality. It doesn't matter what I do." We've all had these feelings at some point in our lives; at least I know that I have. It may have been a teacher who decided you were a "C student" and no matter what you did, you were getting a C. The boss who rides you like a rented mule for no apparent reason or, maybe, no matter how hard you try you just don't seem to get the recognition that you feel you deserve. When faced with these situations you are presented with a choice - accept it and give up or you can resign yourself to the fact that you can't please everyone and continue being the best version of you possible.

It's not easy but, in my humble opinion, the only person you need to satisfy is the one looking back at you in the mirror. In life there are no guarantees but I believe there is always promise. The promise that, if you work hard, you can succeed. There will, invariably, be setbacks (or speed bumps as I have heard said) along the way but if taken in stride you will eventually reach your destination. Don't give up and don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something or that you aren't good enough.

There will be obstacles that you cannot overcome; don't let them define you. Use your setbacks as learning experiences and you will find fewer obstacles as you go forward.

2 comments:

Featured Post

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? So, do you believe in magic? I don't mean the magic in a young girl's heart, I mean real magic. Like stuf...